Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Uterus

Sandy here:

Shortly after Doug and I "came out of the pregnancy closet" my good friend Brian came out to visit. He lives in Portland, but I managed to convince him to come to Durango. Brian and I have a long history of debauchery and I knew I would have to come clean about not being able to be his partner in drinking crime as soon as he arrived. We had just been to the doctor for our first ultrasound (this one had nothing to do with twins--it came because I'm of "advanced maternal age" and as a result I won an early ultrasound) and had some of those funny black and white photos. The nurse was able to get a good shot of the twinkies, and I had to show Brian. He made the comment that we went back many years and had a long history, but this was the first time he had seen my uterus.

The more I thought about it, the funnier it seemed. In some senses, the uterus is a very private place, but once there's a baby in there, people (including me) don't seem to think anything of showing those pictures to anyone who will look.


So, this is an old picture, but one of my favorites. I was 6 weeks along--I don't think they were even seahorses yet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made the blog! Truthfully, the only reason I have been reading has been to see if I would make the cut. And in a post about Gilpin's uterus, no less! McCormick.

Unknown said...

Sandy and Doug, I just want to say congrats!!!! What a blessing...a double blessing. I am so happy for you.